Saturday, November 6, 2010

Is it Possible to have New Orleans and Healthy Food Mentioned in the Same Phrase?



Guest Dude Blogger: Paul R. Johnson

I was born in New Orleans many years ago and my family moved to Seattle when I was very young, but I mention it because food (rich food) is a very essential part of New Orleans cuisine and Louisiana culture. I’m not trying to make an excuse for my largeness, but I firmly believe that my love of food and my girth are a direct legacy of my New Orleans roots. Yes, I do love Gumbo, Crawfish Etoufee, Jambalaya, Po Boy Sandwiches and probably Red Beans and Rice most of all. I could go on and on, talking about Beinets, Pecan Praline, Muffalettas, and King Cakes.

I gain a few pounds every time I visit my cousins, aunts, and uncles down home, but I also get sad when I think about the legacy that has disproportionately affected African Americans.


Louisiana is one of eight states in the U.S., where more than 30% of its residents are considered obese.

In September, "Let's Move!" Anti-Obesity Campaign kicked off in New Orleans by First Lady Michelle Obama.

So, while I still love the food I mentioned, I also know that it is contributing to poor health amongst my people. I'm contributing a recipe with a New Orleans groove, but without all the extra calories. It is not my original recipe, but a recipe that I hope will help people, especially big people (like myself), so we can learn to enjoy and lead healthier lives (and look more like I did in this picture seven years ago).

Crawfish Cakes With Horseradish Sauce

It is from Clegg's "Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites.

2 tablespoons light mayonnaise

1 teaspoon hot sauce

1 bunch green onions, chopped

1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley

1/3 cup shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar

1 pound crawfish tails, rinsed and drained

Salt and pepper to taste

1 tablespoon olive oil

Flour

Horseradish Sauce (recipe follows)

In a medium bowl, carefully combine all ingredients except oil and flour. Cover and chill 30 minutes, if time permits. Shape into 8 patties.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil. Lightly dust patties with flour and cook over medium heat 3-5 minutes on each side, or until browned.

Serve with horseradish sauce.

Horseradish Sauce

1/4 cup nonfat sour cream

2 tablespoons light mayonnaise

1 tablespoon lemon juice

2 tablespoons prepared horseradish

Pinch sugar

In a bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well.



No comments:

Post a Comment